Shadows - Jennifer L. Armentrout “Seriously though, I want this – I want you … More than I’ve ever wanted anything.”

Okay! I originally rated this book a 3. Yeah, I know it’s crazy but I seriously felt a little short on this book. So what I did? I reread it. Just like I did with Daimon. I reread it and guess what? I had to change my rating. It was great but not as great as Obsidian unfortunately.

THE GIST

In Obsidian, we meet Daemon Black who was hot as hell but could be a jackass at times. All we know that aside from Dee, he also has another sibling, a brother. His name was Dawson. It wasn’t elaborated on what happened to him but in Shadows, you get to know more about him and what happened to him.

Dawson was the more of the nice brother here. He was warm and friendly but get on his bad side, he’ll be just as intense as Daemon. One thing was for sure, he shared his brother’s bad temper.

Anyways, Shadows focused more on how tightly-knitted Daemon, Dawson and Dee are and of course the other Luxens too. Their family is everything to them. But more importantly, we find out the reason why Dawson disappeared; it was because of a girl named Bethany.

It was a love that was forbidden from the very start. Would Dawson and Bethany be able to overcome all the hindrances for them to be together?

FIRST IMPRESSION

I seriously loved this series and the author. The author has an imagination unlike any other. Who would have known aliens could be so hot right? Anyway, okay so the reason why I picked this up was of course because of Daemon DAEMON ALONE and Katy. They were two wonderfully made characters that complement each other in a weird way. They argued a lot but I still feel their chemistry and all that. Enough of Daemon even though I still want to talk about him. When I heard this book was going to be about Daemon’s brother Dawson, I was so excited to read it. I wanted to know what happened to the lost brother.

CHARACTERS

Dawson

Daemon and Dawson maybe twins but they’re different from each other like night and day. I won’t dwell more on Daemon because you’ll definitely hear a lot of swooning from me if I do so let’s talk about Dawson. I like Dawson. He was the nice guy you could count on. He was the nicer brother. He was Dee’s favorite brother. Dawson is the exact opposite of Daemon. Dawson is the tamer version. And seriously, he is quite a lover. He fights for what he believes is right and he doesn’t care about anything else. I mean he does care but basically he wants to do the things that will make him happy. And being with Bethany makes him happy.

Bethany

Bethany was nice. I mean she was okay. I liked Katy more though. Bethany was a nice girl and she was very accepting. Too accepting for my taste but I get her. Dawson’s hot. I mean if I meet an alien and that alien turns out to be as hot as Daemon or Dawson I don’t think I would have minded either. Sick? Maybe but I’m just being realistic here. I would have been as enthralled as Bethany about feeling their light or seeing them glow and all that. She wasn’t my favorite but I definitely liked her from the very start.

Daemon

You guys know how much I love Daemon right? *you guys would see that on my name as well. Hehehe* But this book didn’t really focus much on him but still it made me understand him more about why he acted like a f*cking jerk in Obsidian. I liked that he can get all soft with Dawson even when he doesn’t want to. Let me share a conversation between them.

Daemon stomped past them, bumping into his brother's shoulder. "You make my head hurt", he said, scowling. "And you make me all warm and fuzzy inside".

DAWSON + BETHANY = You and Me Against the World

It was insta-love. And I hate insta-love! If I could avoid books like it like plague I will. Good thing about this book was that it actually works. One thing I also noticed was that, these two kiddies actually were like Romeo and Juliet. It was tragic really. I mean I don’t really know what happened to them. It was still a blank for me but for this novella specifically, it ended tragically just like Romeo and Juliet’s story. Their relationship was meant to end the moment it started but they didn’t care. It was kind of a “with-you-beside-me-i-don’t-care-if-the-world-ended” kind of relationship. I’ll usually roll my eyes with that kind of thing but I liked it. I think it worked for Dawson and Bethany’s case.

HIGHLIGHTS

> It gave us more insight on what happened before Obsidian because let’s face it, we all have tons of questions and most of the missing pieces were answered her including why Daemon was so overprotective with Dee and all that.

QUOTABLE QUOTES

“Love of sugar had to mean true love. It just had to.”

“I can’t believe you’re allowing him to do this. Next thing we know, you’ll be dating a human.”
Daemon busted out laughing. “Yeah, not going to happen.”

“Oh, for the love of baby humans everywhere, you’re an idiot.”

FINAL WORDS:

Okay so final words will have to be that this book left me sad. It left me super sad which is why I originally rated it a 3. I wanted Dawson and Bethany to have their happily ever after but then again this is a series so who knows what will happen in the next books right? So I am wishing and hoping and praying that Ms. Armentrout will do something about these star-crossed lovers. Now we don’t have only one, we have two!

Good Heavens! What will we do?

After I read all my group and buddy reads I’ll start with Onyx and hope I see Dawson there somewhere and Bethany of course. I am not convinced he’s DEAD! Jesus! Those DOD people need some serious spanking! Anyhow, I enjoyed it. Still loved Ms. Armentrout’s writing and hoping for more Luxen’s to come.