After Dark - Jay Rubin, Haruki Murakami “Time moves in its own special way in the middle of the night. You can’t fight it.”

After Dark was a short novel about what happens in the streets of Tokyo after midnight.
After we close our doors, turn off our lights, there is a whole lot more happening outside that we might not be aware of which was what this book showed us.
The story takes place over the course of one night.
This book was narrated in a unique way.
I have never read a book wherein the narrator was in the first person plural form.
Somehow the narrator was like a camera that floats and follows the characters around.
The first person that was focused on was Mari who was killing time reading a book at Denny’s when she unexpectedly met Takahasi, a boy she hadn’t seen in a while.
Kaoru, the manager of a nearby love hotel seek her assistance in talking to a Chinese prostitute who was beaten by one of her customers.
She found herself inside the love hotel translating Chinese to Japanese vise versa and also feeling an attachment to the poor prostitute.
After that the camera shifts to her sister, Eri who was soundly sleeping in her room who was making very little movements.
Her unplugged TV however was more alive than she was.
Inside the TV, a masked man was watching Eri Asai sleeping.

This would be my first Haruki Murakami book and I loved it.
I was dying to get my hands on one of his novels for so long and I finally had it.
Murakami’s storytelling was not one I had encountered before.
He had this way of mixing reality with surrealism.
What can I say, this book made me think how small our world is.
That everything we do might or might not affect other people.
It also shows how small our world is.
We meet people every day that may have a big or small part in what would happen to us or what happened to us in the past.
Also this book shows us the value of our relationship with other people.
How we all need one another to survive.
How a conversation, a pat on the back could greatly affect us in ways we do not thought possible.

All in all the feel of this book to me was like a dream.
It was like a long dream that has some sort of vague meaning like an Impressionistic painting.
Reading this book was somehow magical.
Murakami’s writing style made me crave more.
I wish to be transported once more to a world that only Haruki Murakami can create.

I loved it. :D