The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky Wallflower (noun)

a shy or retiring person who remains unnoticed at social events, especially a woman without a dance partner

I decided to read this book not because there was going to be a movie coming out soon.
It one of the reasons but then again it wasn’t the main one.
I wanted to read it because the word “wallflower” caught my attention.

I was a wallflower.
I was not one of those kids people notice immediately.
I was one of those people who blends in very well that I was no longer noticeable.
I was a “nobody”.
I was one of those uncool kids back in high school that almost no one spoke to because I always kept to myself.
I was insecure.
I was scared that if I try to talk no one would listen.
Actually I think I still am even though I am already working.
I am still a “nobody” here.
I have a couple of friends but it seems like no one really knows who I really am because I never let them find out who I really was.
They know my name and a couple of unimportant things but I think that’s about it.
They don’t really care about the things I like, the things that make me cry, the things that make me smile.
I was just another person they knew by name but never really knew at all.

Perks of Being a Wallflower has to be one of the books that I could relate to.
It was very insightful and poignant that in most part of this book I felt like it was me writing those letters.

Charlie (the main character) and I don’t have very much in common but still I found myself relating to his situation almost all throughout the book.
I was not as introverted nor was I as smart as he was but there was something about how the author wrote him that you’ll start to see the world through his eyes.
You’ll see how innocent and pure his outlook was in life.

Charlie wasn’t normal and he knew it.
He was struggling after the death of his favorite Aunt.
He tried his best to “participate” but there is still this part of him that would be locked away from everyone else.
Charlie was a freshman and he still has a lot of things to learn.
Hanging out with Patrick and Sam (who were both seniors) exposed him to a lot of things he wasn’t used to (like smoking, drinking, making out those sort of stuff).
His letters mirrors the experience or the things we went through during his first year in high school.

As I was saying earlier I loved this book a lot because I related much with not only the character but with the whole story.
We may not be like Charlie but the things he went through in high school were something almost everyone went through.
I didn’t do drugs nor did I smoke a lot when I was in high school.
But some kids were motivated in doing so by peer pressure but in Charlie’s case I think it was more of curiosity rather than peer pressure.
This book showed us how a special kid like Charlie would cope with being in high school and overcoming the problems he would encounter as he goes along.

Another thing I loved about this book was how it was written.
Though it was written back in the 90’s when you read it, you’ll get this impression that it was just written recently in a 90’s setting.
This book was transcend time.
When you read it probably in the next 10 years you would still be able to relate to it.

There were a lot of good quotations in this book but one really stood out for me:

So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

We are all different.
We are also all the same.
Most of us may not be as smart as Charlie or as popular as Brad (who I think was an a**hole) but all of us can still make a difference.
We may be experiencing troubles right now but that could change based on the decisions or choices that we would make.

I don’t think this is much of a review but more of a rant.
Sorry my dear readers if this review disappointed you but I kind of like sharing my thoughts about a book that I really connected with.
This book was one of them.

I give this book 5 wonderful glittery stars!