On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) - Samantha Young Once the rain starts falling it’s hard to tell it to stop. I guess it stops in its own time.

REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK

I could sum it up in one word.

CONFUSED.
F*CKING CONFUSED.
I feel like a total nut case as I was reading this. One minute I loved it so bad and then hating it as much as I love it the next and then loving it again. It was a bad vicious cycle.

THE GIST

Jocelyn (aka as Joss) lost her family when she was just 14 and because of that, she had a hard time opening herself to people. After she turned 18, she took everything and left America to live in Scotland.

In Edinburgh, she meets Ellie who she was going to be rooming in with. Coincidentally, Ellie was the half-sister of The Suit, a guy whom she shared a cab with, the guy who she was inexplicably attracted to.

Things get complicated between Jocelyn and Braden when he proposed an arrangement. No commitments, just sex. She had no problems with that at first but as time goes by, she gets attached to Braden and she felt uncomfortable with it. She felt that she was opening up herself just to be torn apart again.

Jocelyn was good at blocking people out. She convinced herself that no one was going to break the barriers she put up around herself. But she was wrong.

CHARACTERS

Jocelyn (aka JOSS)

I loved to strangle this girl most part of the book. I mean I knew what she went through was hard but I really wanted to slap her real hard on the face so that she’ll wake up to see what hope she has of being happy is staring at her right in the face. If you as Jocelyn what love is for her, she will probably tell you something like this.

She’s a pessimistic and self-absorbed person. She didn’t want to get close to anybody because she was afraid of what might happen to her afterwards if they left or if something happened to them. Despite the strong face she keeps on showing everyone, she clearly wasn’t that strong. She was a coward. I had a problem with this book mainly because of her. It was really upsetting reading about how she pushes everyone away because she didn’t want to deal with something. That is just wrong. I mean given her situation, I would understand at some point but locking yourself up because you don’t want to be hurt? That is bull! I hated that part.

I honestly wish she was more likeable. I mean even her therapist is having a hard time with her. Her stubbornness was not very endearing to me.

Braden

I seriously imagined Matt Bomer when Jocelyn was describing the man on the cab. I know Matt is not exactly really really tall but still, he knows how to make a suit so sexy. And Braden was just oh so sexy with or without the suit.

Going back, I would like to say that I liked his character better than Jocelyn. I mean it’s easy to love this guy because despite him having been hurt before, he was still willing to risk loving again. And he’s very smart. He is not the type of guy you could easily manipulate. He may be around a lot of women but when he falls in love, he loves whole-heartedly. Also, he is a very loving brother. He’s sweet although not too sweet when other people steps into his boundaries. He’s slightly possessive. Okay, scratch that, overly possessive and protective which is fine by me if you would ask.

Ellie

Ellie would have to be my favourite character on this book. Yeah I know. No matter how hot and sexy Braden is, Ellie would have to be who I connected the most too. She is Braden’s half-sister. She’s Jocelyn’s roommate in Dublin Street. Why do I love her so much? Because she’s strong even though she doesn’t look like it. She makes stupid decisions because she wanted to help other people sort their issues out *I’m sure you all have a clue who I’m talking about here*. But seriously, what she went through is hard too and she gotten past all that with a smile on her pretty face.

JOSS + BRADEN = SEXUAL TENSION TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL

These two definitely have chemistry... IN BED.^^,

I liked Braden really but Joss was making it hard for me to see the connection. The only time I see the connection is when they are on bed because that is the only time that Jocelyn really lets herself loose.

Most of the time, they argue like cats and dogs because both Joss and Braden and super stubborn. Joss likes her space and Braden likes to infiltrate her space so ending they argue a lot.

Honestly, I liked Ellie and Adam’s love story better. I won’t tell you much about it though. Read the book to find out. ^^,

QUOTABLE QUOTES

“I know you love me, Jocelyn, because there’s no fucking way I can be this much in love with you, and not have you feel the same way. It’s not possible.”

“I would say it was nice to meet you, but I was naked so… it wasn’t.”

“Braden, I don't want anything to happen between us."
He raised his eyebrow, clearly unconvinced.
"Tell that to your damp knickers, babe.”

“Sometimes words aren’t needed for you to know a change has come upon you.”

FINAL WORDS

I’m still confused whether rating this book a three was the right choice. I did enjoy it. But also a part of me was mostly pissed off by Joss.

The story was actually pretty good. The writing style of the customer was also good but the voice of the character I was reading was annoying. I would have preferred an alternating POV for this book. Why? Because it would have lessened the headache I got listening to Jocelyn deny herself happiness.

Oh! Did I mention it was lust-at-fist-sight? Yep. I wouldn’t say love because it wasn’t love she felt but lust. Hahaha. It’s weird but yeah. She wet herself just by sitting next to Braden. Hahaha.

I would have been very happy if Ellie was the main character of this book instead of Jocelyn. I would have liked to read Ellie’s POV because she was so sweet and spunky. She always has been willing to help Jocelyn but Jocelyn (the human wall) thinks she doesn’t need it.

One thing I liked about On Dublin Street is that the story didn’t just focus on one. It didn’t just focus on Jocelyn and Braden but also the other minor characters that were so much better to read about than Jocelyn.

Anyhow, I liked Ms. Young’s style in writing so I’m going to check her other books and hopefully there are no more irritating tortured female characters there.

I’ll leave you guys with a line I loved from this book.

“Sometimes the clouds weren't weightless. Sometimes their bellies got dark and full. It was life. It happened. It didn't mean it wasn't scary, or that I wasn't still afraid, but now I knew that as long as I was standing under it with Braden beside me when those clouds broke, I'd be alright. We'd get rained on together. Knowing Braden he'd have a big ass umbrela to shelter us from the worst of it. That there was an uncertain future I could handle.”

**************************************************
PRE-REVIEW:

I am so torn between loving and hating this book.
Half the time I was so loving it.

but also half of which I was so pissed off with Joss, the main female character because of her annoying stubborness!

Don't get me wrong, I liked the story. I liked how it ended but I just wish the main character was a little more... tolerable?

So right now I'll just be, collecting my thoughts about this and will post my review probably later.