Slammed (Slammed, #1) - Colleen Hoover “I got schooled this year
by
a
boy.

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing ofall...

To put the emphasis
On life.

Slammed is one of those books that will leave you with thoughts after you finished reading.
It made me realize a lot of things.
It made me think of how life is short.
It made me realize how much every moment counts.
It made me realize how a person can make a difference.

THE GIST

Layken (or Lake) and her family had to move to Michigan.
Her father just passed away and her mother said she had a better job offer in Michigan so they moved.
Everything just happened so fast.
Lake wasn’t ready for any of this.
Lake felt like she left a part of herself in Texas.
First day in Michigan, she met Will.
Will was literally the Boy Next Door.
He lived next door with his brother.
He was slightly older than Lake (he’s 21) and he’s the legal guardian of his brother.
Lake and Will had a good start.
They went out and had fun.
Will introduced Lake to Slam poetry which she instantly loved.
Just when Lake thought things were starting to go her way, the unexpected happened.
Just when Lake and Will started to get closer to each other, reasons for them for them to stay apart resurfaced.

FIRST IMPRESSION

If my GR friends could literally shove this book in my face I’m sure they would have done it. Hahaha.
This is what I think they look like when I started reading it:

This book was recommended to me *by a bunch of people* and I am so happy I picked it up and read it.

LAKE + WILL = HEARTWARMING COUPLE

I would just like to emphasize that this book did not really focus on this two lovebird’s relationship. It actually dealt more about their individual lives and the people around them.

I’m not saying that there is no romance here okay? The romance is good, very good actually because they were not too dependent on each other. They weren’t like typical YA or NA books that have the i-can’t-live-without-you drama and I hate that.

Their relationship was innocent really and it was kind of refreshing for me since most of the books I’ve read have tons of steamy scenes. This book doesn’t have a lot of those but it will still make you feel the connection between Lake and Will.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I love books that leave a mark.
Slammed is actually one of them.
The story is very simple but very meaningful.
This book didn’t need very difficult words. It didn’t need complicated scenarios or situations for the author to get her message across to her readers.
I learned a lot of things from this book.
It’s kind of funny because right now I feel that I am in Will’s position. Although the situation is different, the struggle between doing what is right and what you want is both eating us.
I wish these two get their happy ending on the next books. I just heard that there’s a third book so I’m looking forward to those two books!
Will I recommend this?
Of course I will!
A very good read.
I won’t be hesitating to read it again when I have time.
You might be wondering what Slammed means?
I was seriously thinking about someone being beaten up but as I was reading the book I found out that it was far off from what it meant.
Anyway, I won’t tell you much about Slam poetry. I’ll let you guys read so I won’t ruin it.
Let me end up this review with I think one of the lesson’s I’ve learned from this book.